Birmingham’s first purpose-built private rental scheme tops out
The first new development in the Smithfield district of Birmingham has been topped out.
Councillor Peter Griffiths, cabinet member for housing and homes at Birmingham City Council, laid the final piece of roof felt at The Forum, the 333-apartment building on Pershore Street.
The £50million scheme is being developed by Rockspring Property Investment Managers LLP (“Rockspring”). Bouygues UK is the main contractor; Linkcity is development manager.
The Forum is on the site of the former Silver Blades ice rink, next to the wholesale markets site and within the 14-hectare Birmingham Smithfield perimeter. Birmingham City Council is currently spearheading plans to regenerate the area, creating new leisure, retail, hotel and cultural space, plus 2,000 new homes.
Cllr Griffiths said: “I visited The Forum 12 months ago, as the groundworks were completed and the concrete frames were going up. Developments such as this one will help ease the housing crisis and provide much needed homes. It’s great to return to site and see the progress, including a fully fitted apartment.”
Paul Hampton, partner at Rockspring, said: “The Forum is now watertight, a significant milestone in the construction phase. We are currently glazing and cladding the building, with full interior fit-outs set to commence in Q1 this year.”
Nicolas Guérin, managing director of Linkcity, said: “Having recognised this opportunity to bring the first major purpose-built development of private rented sector homes to Birmingham, we are pleased to have reached this significant milestone. We are grateful to our partners at Rockspring, and our colleagues at sister company Bouygues UK who will be continuing their hard work to bring the building to completion this summer. We are looking forward to seeing the finished product and are actively seeking further development opportunities in the West Midlands.”
Rockspring has appointed Atlas Residential to let and manage the one-bed, two-bed and studio homes, which are available exclusively to let.
Facilities at The Forum include a residents-only gym, communal lounge, a landscaped courtyard and rooftop amenity space.
The first new residents will be welcomed from summer 2018.
To register interest in the apartments visit www.theforumbirmingham.co.uk
L-R: Nicolas Guerin, Linkcity; Paul Hampton, Rockspring; Cllr Peter Griffiths (kneeling) and Bruno Moyne, Bouygues UK
Notes to editors
Rockspring Propety Investment Managers LLP
Rockspring Property Investment Managers LLP is a professional investment fiduciary specialising in the acquisition and management of commercial property throughout the UK and continental Europe on behalf of major institutional clients – either directly for single-client accounts or through the Group’s series of tax-efficient, co-mingled investment funds. Rockspring is authorised and regulated by the FCA.
Fully independent and 100% owned by its Senior Management and employees, Rockspring is headquartered in London and has a network of offices in Amsterdam, Berlin, Brussels, Madrid, Paris and Warsaw as well as Client Services offices in Seoul, Sydney, and Washington, D.C. Its Executive Committee includes Robert Gilchrist (Chief Executive), Edmund Craston (Managing Director) and Ian Baker (Partner – Finance).
Rockspring was established in 1984 by founder and Non – Executive Chairman, Richard Plummer.
As at June 2017 Rockspring had gross assets of €7.8 billion in funds under management and undrawn commitments. It represents a diverse client base including Rockspring Hanover Property Unit Trust, Rockspring PanEuropean Property Limited Partnership, Rockspring TransEuropean IV, V and VI, The Rockspring German Retail Box Fund, Rockspring UK Value Funds 1 and 2, and single client mandates. Rockspring’s property assets are currently located in the UK and 11 other European countries.
For further information, please visit www.rockspringpim.com
- Linkcity is the property development company of Bouygues UK.
- Being part of the Bouygues group enables Linkcity to combine global strength with a local focus.
- Linkcity has around 20 developments across the UK, with a gross development value in excess of £1.3 billion.
- It develops across all sectors, including residential, commercial, retail and leisure, mixed-use, student accommodation and regeneration projects.
- Linkcity creates vibrant, connected places that aim to improve the quality of life of the people who live, work or spend time in them.
- It focuses on people, places and planet to create sustainable developments that contribute to healthier and happier lives, more resilient communities and a better world for future generations.
- Further information is available at www.linkcity-uk.com.
- Bouygues UK is one of the country’s leading construction companies.
- It focuses on sectors where it can add value through the technical expertise, skills and experience of Bouygues UK and the wider global Bouygues Group. These include residential (including social housing, the private rented sector, private for sale homes, mixed-use, care homes and student accommodation); and education (ranging from nursery schools through to higher education) as well as technically complex projects across sectors where the company’s expertise can be maximised.
- Bouygues UK provides intelligent management throughout the entire life-cycle of each project, delivering efficiently and to an excellent standard.
- Bouygues UK combines a local focus with international strength and expertise: the company is wholly owned by Bouygues Bâtiment International, a subsidiary of Bouygues Construction, a global player in construction and services.
- In 2016, Bouygues Construction and its 50,100 employees generated sales of €11.8 billion.
- Further information is available at www.bouygues-uk.com.