West Middlesex University Hospital
NAME:West Middlesex University Hospital
CLIENT:West Middlesex Hospital Trust
LOCATION:Isleworth, London, UK
TYPE OF WORK:New Build and Refurbishment
West Middlesex Hospital first opened in Isleworth, West London in 1894, and was originally known as The Brentford Workhouse Infirmary before changing its name in about 1920. When the century-old hospital’s Victorian buildings were no longer suitable for the modern day requirements of its patients and community, we were called in to redevelop the existing facility and to construct an innovative and award-winning major acute hospital on the site.
The sale of approximately half of the original hospital site enabled redevelopment of two remaining buildings on the site’s eastern side. We were responsible for the demolition and refurbishment of the existing hospital premises, along with the new build which was required to increase the hospital’s capacity and improve acute facilities.
Under a PFI scheme, the Bouygues consortium carried out the financing, construction and management of a 19,300 m², 400-bed hospital designed by Nightingale Associates. The facility provides a full range of hospital services to residents of the London Boroughs of Hounslow and Richmond upon Thames. Serves a local population of around 425,000 people, it employs 1,900 staff.
The new build element of the development houses accident and emergency, critical care, resuscitation rooms, operating theatres, clinical imaging, outpatients and patient suites, and has full specialist and technical equipment. Combined, the new build and refurbished hospital offers comprehensive district general hospital services and facilities: the new acute services, along with care for the elderly, surgery and maternity services.
Bouygues’ subsidiary, ETDE, was awarded the 35-year contract for maintenance and management of the hospital.