Broomfield Hospital


Broomfield Hospital, originally known as Essex County Hospital was opened in 1940 as a hospital for the treatment of tuberculosis patients. It was built with south facing’butterfly’ wings that caught the sun, for the benefit of the patients.


The construction took place while the existing hospital remained fully operational, and minimal disruption was ensured throughout.

The project involved building a new 43,000m² acute building, with new facilities incorporated in the design to provide a wealth of health services. The main elements of the build included accommodation for 300 new hospital beds, five ‘day case’ operating theatres, three endoscopy rooms, an accident and emergency department, a maternity department with two operating theatres, a neonatal intensive care unit, and a new renal unit. Additional specialist features included a new pharmacy and dispensary, along with a rooftop helipad.

Stakeholder engagement was key during the construction process, with regular workshops held for community residents and staff. Staff were provided the opportunity to use ‘mock’ wards in order to familiarise themselves with the new building, and provided input into the choice of materials and fit-out of their new workplace.